CMS FAQ Sheet
What is the CMS?
MPACE offers the Career Mentoring Scholarship (CMS) Program to provide current graduate students and new professionals a direct connection to experience career services/university recruiting hands-on. It is an opportunity to meet with people currently working in the profession. This is a great way for MPACE to showcase new and future professionals in the field. One student will be chosen from the MPACE Region hosting the Annual Conference. In 2015, the winner chosen will be from the Pacific South Region.
Who is eligible?
- Graduate students currently enrolled at an MPACE member institution. Students should be pursuing a degree related to the career services field (counseling, higher education administration, student affairs, human resources, etc.)
- Interns, including Campus Ambassadors currently or previously employed by an MPACE employer member.
- New professionals (including: human resources, management trainees, etc. ) with less than 3 years experience.
What are the benefits of being selected as a CMS recipient?
Selected applicant engage in structured experiences under the direction and supervision of career center staff/employer. MPACE members interested in nominating an individual should refer to the application process listed below. The MPACE Education & Research Committee will select and make scholarship awards to one recipient from MPACE campuses/employers. The scholarship covers:
- Conference Registration including 2-night hotel accommodations (valued at $925)
- Travel (up to $600) to attend the MPACE Annual Conference | Disneyland Hotel, Anaheim, December 9-11, 2015
- One-year MPACE Membership (valued at $150)
Additionally, the recipient will have the opportunity to:
- Develop professionally through mentorship and attendance at the MPACE conference
- Expand their professional network
- Gain conference presentation experience
What is required of CMS recipients?
- Required to obtain a letter of recommendation from Career Center Director/Employer or nominator.
- Must commit to a minimum duration of four (4) months during which time they spend at least forty (40) hours working towards the CMS project (including: meeting with mentor, presentation preparation, informational interviews, etc.).
- Attend regularly scheduled supervision meetings with an assigned career services/university relations professional. The focus of these sessions is to broaden the awareness of industry best practices, career development theory, university relations, student affairs, and other related topics.
- Lead or actively participate in a project within their employer, campus or community that facilitates their understanding of the career services/university relations profession.
- Maintain evidence of their learning through activities such as journals, reflection papers and similar assignments.
What is required of a CMS mentor?
- Provide supervised sessions and assigned readings intended to promote the CMS recipient's understanding of career services/university relations.
- Offer assistance and guidance related to the CMS recipient’s project.
- Support deserving recipients for the MPACE Career Mentor Scholarship (CMS) Program.
What types of projects have CMS recipients completed in the past?
Sample projects include the following:
- Interview students to gain a greater understanding of communication styles related to the Internet and socialization, and gather information about students’ expectations regarding their career center.
- Launch an Alumni Mentor Network and improve the marketing and branding to reach more students.
- Design workshops and host a podcast focusing on career success for international students.
- Design and disseminate career information to first year students through career development classes, and make recommendations of the content that should be implemented.
- Create a Career Counseling model for students to assess current life circumstances to make a decision about a career choice and take action.
How do I apply?
Nominations and application for the 2015 CMS Program will be accepted soon! Stay tuned for more details including application and deadline.